Southwest DC, cir. 1950

Previous | Home | Next


The redevelopment of the city’s southwest quadrant in the 1950s was controversial from the outset. The National Capital Park and Planning Commission supported a more conservative approach that would have improved dilapidated housing while leaving the working-class neighborhood intact. The more ambitious vision of urban renewal eventually prevailed, however, resulting in the removal of more than 23,000 people.

Curtis Collection, DC Community Archives, DC Public Library