U.S. Treasury Building

Previous | Home | Next


The Ionic-styled Treasury Building, designed by Latrobe protégé Robert Mills, replaced George Hadfield’s earlier structure, which burned down in 1834. As architect of public buildings from 1836 to 1851, Mills established his imprint on the city with his signature Greek Revival style, and oversaw construction of many important buildings, including the Patent Office Building, which now houses the Smithsonian's Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture.

Library of Congress