Pension Office Building, 1881

Previous | Home | Next


Montgomery C. Meigs of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers created several architectural monuments for the city, including the Pension Office Building in 1881. His red brick structures pose a striking contrast to the white masonry buildings erected before the Civil War.

The Pension Office Building, now the National Building Museum, is noted for its soaring interior space and Casper Buberl’s exterior terra-cotta frieze depicting the Civil War soldiers and sailors for whom the building was designed.

Theodor Horydcak Collection (LC-H812-T01-1900), Library of Congress