U.S. Capitol 1846

Previous | Home | Next


L’Enfant designated Jenkins Hill, the highest point of the basin city, as the ideal location for the legislative branch of government. The U.S. Capitol, designed in 1803, was rebuilt under the guidance of architect Benjamin Latrobe after the British burned it down during the War of 1812. Starting in 1851, the original wings were extended, and in 1865 work was completed on the cast-iron dome that came to serve as a symbol of unity for the nation’s capital.

Library of Congress