The Tidal Basin, 1905

Previous | Home | Next


Although faced with considerable pressure to open the Potomac Flats to private development, Congress set aside in 1897 the reclaimed flats and
tidal reservoirs as “Potomac Park…to be forever held and used as a park for the recreation and pleasure of the people.” In 1919, much of the reclaimed area along the southeast shore of the Anacostia River was dedicated as Anacostia Park.

Library of Congress