Washington Navy Yard, ca. 1861

Previous | Home | Next



The Navy Yard, founded in 1799 along the Anacostia River between 4th and 9th Streets SE, is the oldest shore facility of the U.S. Navy. The surrounding working-class neighborhood began to decline when weapons production was phased out in the early 1960s. The recent relocation of many administrative offices to the Navy Yard and redevelopment at the adjacent Southeast Federal Center (home to the new headquarters of the U.S. Department of Transportation) represent major investments in the revitalization of the waterfront area.

Harper’s Weekly, April 20, 1861, Library of Congress